DeKALB – A contract boring the ground to run a cable in the 100 block of John Street struck a gas pipe Thursday afternoon and the DeKalb Fire Department is warning residents to stay away.
DeKalb Fire Chief Jeff McMaster said Thursday the line was struck shortly before 5 p.m. Thursday, and Nicor Gas crews were called in to attempt to find the leak.
“We have an active gas leak,” McMaster said. “There’s no immediate harm to residents, and we have been checking surrounding homes for gas, but we are restricting access to the area.”
McMaster said roads are blocked off from bystanders and drivers about a half a block in each direction, beginning at the corner of John Street and West Locust Street.
“A contractor was doing horizontal boring where they send rods into the ground so they can run cable, and somewhere a gas line was struck,” McMaster said.
Anyone in their homes surrounding the area is allowed to stay, but McMaster said they should use caution, be vigilant and, if they smell gas, call 911.
Once they locate the leak, crews from Nicor will clamp the gas line, which could cause surrounding homes to lose gas for a period of time, McMaster said, likely a few hours.
“[Gas] is still flowing out,” he said. “Whether they have to clamp 50 or 100 feet on each side, it’s hard to tell at this time.”
Residents with other concerns are invited to call the fire department’s main line at 815-748-8460 if they have further questions.
Source: The Daily Chronicle