Press "Enter" to skip to content

Concealed carry gun owner shoots, kills one of two dogs attacking woman near St. Charles: police

ST. CHARLES TOWNSHIP – A man with a concealed carry gun license shot and killed one of two Rottweilers that were involved in an unprovoked attack on a woman Monday morning, Kane County Sheriff Ron Hain said.

Both dogs backed off and the victim was saved, Hain said.

Fox River and Countryside paramedics took the woman, who was seriously injured, to Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital in Geneva, then she was flown by helicopter to the trauma center at Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital in Downers Grove.

The dog later died of its injuries and the second Rottweiler was euthanized, Hain said. Both were adult males, Hain said. An adult male Rottweiler can weigh 95 pounds to 135 pounds, according to the American Kennel Club website.

The incident began when the victim, a 51-year-old woman, was jogging past a house in the 7N300 block of Windsor Drive, St. Charles Township.

A Labradoodle dog ran from the yard to greet her in the street. The woman stopped and began escorting the dog back onto the property to the homeowner, who was in her driveway, when the two Rottweilers came out of the home and began attacking her, Hain said.

A man driving past got out of his car to assist. He is also the one who called 911, Hain said.

“He was trying to separate the dogs and at one point went back to his car to get it (a handgun) out of his car. He shot one dog right in the side. It was a conscious effort because if he had shot the dog in the head, he might have killed the lady,” Hain said.

The gun was a 9 mm caliber Springfield handgun, Hain said. The gun was returned to the man because no criminal act was involved.

“Everybody was very shaken,” Hain said.

The dogs’ owner was also transported to Delnor as her hands were injured as she was trying to separate the dogs, he said.

The injured woman’s husband was in Florida on a business trip and flew back to be with her, Hain said.

Fox River and Countryside Fire Protection District Battalion Chief John Rice said they transported both women to Delnor.

“When we got on the scene, the lady was laying in the front yard with multiple wounds to her entire body – the back of her head, her arms, her legs,” Rice said. “It was disturbing, to say the least.”

Hain said the incident is still under investigation.

Source: The Daily Chronicle

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    %d bloggers like this: