SYCAMORE – The DeKalb County History Center, 1730 N. Main St. in Sycamore, will reopen with limited hours.
Temporary hours will be 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursdays and 1 to 3 p.m. Saturdays. The first two weeks will be for members only. The museum will open to the general public starting Sept. 10.
Everyone interested in visiting the museum will need to make a reservation at least 24 hours in advance. Research appointments in the Joiner History Room will require seven days’ notice.
When visiting the museum, masks and reservations will be required. Groups are limited to 10 people or fewer. If guests are not feeling well the day of their reservation, they are asked to cancel their visit to the museum. Visitors will also be asked to use hand sanitizer upon entering the building.
The history center recently received a free-standing display about the 19th Amendment from the National Archives. While a small exhibit, it is a great way to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the 19th Amendment and woman’s suffrage. The display will be located in the museum’s exhibit hall.
A new collection at the history center is a donation from Congregation Beth Shalom in DeKalb, “Dolls for Democracy.”
In the 1950s, the local Jewish community created a men and women’s B’nai B’rith, a Jewish service organization. They began work with the non-Jewish community to improve awareness of and sensitivity to the Jewish presence in the area. One example of this work is “Dolls for Democracy.”
The Sycamore Tribune explained that the dolls were used to “show that all races, religions, and social classes have produced brilliant people with great souls.” Some of the dolls included in the donation are: Albert Einstein, Madame Pandit, Jane Addams, George Washington Carver, Jonas Sauk and St. Francis of Assisi.
For more information about the DeKalb County History Center, visit www.dekalbcountyhistory.org.
Source: The Daily Chronicle