Press "Enter" to skip to content

Health department confirms Genoa Café wasn't following indoor dining prohibition this week

Genoa Café, 233 W. Main St., closed to indoor dining Friday, nearly one week after restaurants in the county’s health region were supposed to stop serving customers inside, health department officials said.

On Friday, Greg Maurice, director of health protection at the DeKalb County Health Department, said the department on Thursday called the cafe based on a complaint alleging the business was allowing patrons to dine inside, which was banned in the county beginning Oct. 3 as a result of a resurgence in COVID-19 cases in Region 1. Maurice said the cafe was informed that indoor dining currently is not allowed.

Staff at Genoa Café did not immediately respond to multiple requests for comment.

“Today Genoa Café called the health department to verify that indoor dining was not allowed, which we stated was correct,” Maurice said Friday in an email. “That is the only contact the health department has had with Genoa Café.”

The health department’s noncompliance protocols revolve around a series of warnings – first a verbal warning by phone, then a written letter – before taking further action, including potentially revoking a food permit or working with the state’s attorney to incur misdemeanor charges, fines or longer closures.

As of Sept. 30, only three restaurants in the county have received written warnings by the health department throughout the duration of the pandemic so far. Only one has had their food permit pulled: PJ’s Courthouse Tavern for three hours July 31.

Source: The Daily Chronicle

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    %d bloggers like this: