CORTLAND – A gas leak on the north side of Cortland had Somonauk Road closed for four hours Monday.
Assistant Fire Chief Mark Hendrick of the Cortland Fire Department said the department was notified that a contractor had struck a gas main about 10:30 a.m. Somonauk Road was reopened at 2:30 p.m., Hendrick said, after the leak was found and stopped.
Cortland fire and police departments were on the scene as a Nicor crew searched for the leak, officials said. There were no evacuations of nearby homes, but some residents had been told to keep their windows and doors closed.
Hendrick said it’s always a concern with a gas leak that it could ignite and then fire crews have to deal with a flames.
Source: The Daily Chronicle