Press "Enter" to skip to content

Update: After 7-hour search, Sycamore police unable to find 2 barricaded armed men at St. Albans Green

SYCAMORE – After a nearly seven-hour search Saturday night that led into the early morning hours Sunday, Sycamore police were unable to locate two men linked to an armed robbery in Hampshire believed to have barricaded inside the St. Albans Green apartment complex.

The men inside the complex were believed to be armed and were seen entering the building around 6 p.m. Saturday, said Sycamore Police Deputy Chief Steve Cook, who said that as of 12:40 a.m. Sunday, they were nowhere to be found. He said residents were allowed back into their apartments at that time.

Cook said police searched the entire two-story Building B of the apartment complex at 711 S. Main St., including the attic, but could not find the two men.

As part of the hours-long investigation, police escorted residents out of the building adjacent to the St. Albans Green site that burned to the ground after an apartment fire in July of 2019.

During that time, police also shut down Locust Street at South Main Street, which was also closed in the 700 block, Cook said. The parameter set up also included the Sycamore Fire Department.

“We do want people to stay away from here and our concern is to make sure the residents here are safe,” he said.

Cook said the two men inside are believed to be connected to a reported armed robbery which took place at a Super 8 Motel in Hampshire.

“The report out of Hampshire was that they were armed,” Cook said.

Cook said Sycamore police became aware of the men after attempting to assist Kane County law enforcement with locating a red vehicle believed to be connected to the armed robbery.

“We ended up finding the suspect vehicle on the east side of town,” Cook said, at the Sycamore Parkway Restaurant, 605 E. State St.

“Then we had a description of two suspects, and we saw two people that matched that description flee into the apartments on South Main,” Cook said. “They were seen going in and then officers arrive, and they weren’t seen coming out.”

Source: The Daily Chronicle

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply